5 Easy Ways to Proper Breathing
1. Concious breathing – Become aware of how you breathe during different parts of the day. A practical tip for this is to let your phone alarm go off every hour or so and check your breathing each time it does. Are you breathing relaxed, rhythmically, silently and deeply through your nose? Is there room for improvement in this particular situation?
2. Breathe through your nose – A closed mouth, with the tongue placed up the palate ensures that the breathing happens in and out the nose. If your nose is stuffy, do a sinus rinse.
3. Extended exhale – An extended exhale increases the relaxation and makes the inhale deeper and more rhythmical. For optimal breathing the inhale should be 2-3 seconds, exhale 3-4 seconds followed by a pause for 2-3 seconds. The extended exhale also has a positive effect on the inhale which gets deeper.
4. Straight posture – An upright posture gives a deeper breathing where the diaphragm gets more space to work. Your thoughts and feelings are affected in a positive way and at the same time it gets easier to breathe through the nose.
5. Body consciousness – Be aware of your body and how tense or relaxed it is in different situations. A relaxed body makes it easier to keep a rhythmical and relaxed breathing.
via How to Breathe Properly – A (Surprisingly Important) Complete Guide – Selfication.
Moving to the midwest in 1988 was a bit difficult for me. Although I was born in Buffalo, New York, my family moved to Florida when I was in first grade. I grew up in the tropical beauty of St. Petersburg. We had a home on the water, fished off the dock and even had monkeys as pets! It was idyllic. When I married, my husband and moved our family back up north to Ohio. I had no idea what hit me, it seemed like every single bit of pollen had it out for me. Since I couldn’t take over the counter medications without nasty side effects, I began to research natural therapies. They don’t call this area ‘sinus valley’ for nothing! It was at this time in my life I studied Aromatherapy, discovered massage and began what would become Clear My Head. It was truly born out of desperation for myself and family.
Now almost 20 years later, I’ve learned a thing or two, three or four! I’ve been treating my clients for sinus and headache pain for years with a variety of modalities. It’s about time (no, it’s WAY OVERDUE) that I shared that knowledge and experience with other therapists. It took me 20 years to develop proven techniques and almost 6 months to do the presentation, documentation, peer review and everything else that goes into creating a modality. I am proud of my work. I’m also humbled that the response so far has been overwhelmingly positive.
2015 is the YEAR of the ‘i SHiFT’ Course! What is it you ask? It’s a six hour class using multi-modalities to address Sinus/Headache w/Inflammation, Fatigue & Tension (SHIFT). It’s a treatment we will take nationwide so no matter where you travel you will find a skilled therapist who can assess your symptoms and give your quick relief. The modality is 15-20 minutes and will also give you, the client, tips for self care as well.
What is an ‘i SHiFT’ massage like? We combine advanced massage maneuvers for the head, neck, shoulders and back, we use aromatherapy, Clear My Head products and thermal therapies. It’s a wonderful experience and we’re excited to have trained our first 15 therapists in just the first month. We’re traveling to resorts to train entire staffs and working with with accredited massage schools as well.
We hope you’ll look for this new modality at a spa or wellness center in the near future. It’s an exciting time for us and it brings a new dimension to our company. I’m so thrilled to be back teaching again! I forgot just how much fun it is and how fulfilling it can be to share my expertise. It also reinforces my view that massage therapy is so much more than just a luxury – but a true part of health care. I plan to help mentor new therapists and keep educating the public. 2015 is a new year and we’re ready to rock it!